The Beauty & Power of the Internet & Social Media

10.04.2010

Some days I wonder how I got anything done before the internet. Conducting research using an actual book version of an encylopedia is almost up there with watching Lucy and Ricky Riccardo in their twin beds on a tiny black and white TV. Okay maybe not, but you get where I'm coming from. Over the past six years I have seen the beauty and the power of the internet work in my life in ways I would have never imagined. Now that we have social media in our lives, many of us are forces to be reckoned with. We're online networking, creating and building brands, chatting with the Who's Who in a variety of industries.

A couple of weeks ago I met up with Danyelle (The Cubicle Chick) and Jess (That Tech Chick) for dinner at Devon's Seafood. Local Chicago bloggers Rai (Swa Rai) and Jaye (Curvatude) were also in attendance. Danyelle and Jess are from Missouri and Texas respectively who met online and discovered their mutual love of blogging and travel and decided to start a travel series, The Traveling Chicks.

Fabulous bloggers dining 9/24/2010
I met Rai on Twitter. I noticed that she and  Nikia (ChiTown Fashionista) were just as fashion obsessed as I am and we were always tweeting something fashion related. Once we all met in person, we just clicked. The three of us together equals trouble but I'm the sweet and innocent one *batting my eyelashes*

I even met my bff, Adeea (The Trendy Socialite) in a now defunct online discussion group. That's the beauty and power of the internet. The amount of networking that goes on via Twitter is a wonderful thing to see and experience. I can't speak on the benefits of Facebook since I'm no longer a part of the FB hubbub.

If you do not have some sort of online prescence you are really missing out. What are you waiting for? Start a blog, set up a YouTube channel, sign up for Twitter and get to tweeting! Like it or not this is the age we live in. Embrace it and get involved.

Like Paula Patton said to Queen Latifah in Just Wright, "Don't be hatin' on your girl, when I become a brand."



4 comments:

The Cubicle Chick said...

It was a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the girls! We must meet up again soon! You have an amazing spirit :)

That Tech Chick said...

Social media is a huge thing and those not involved dont know what they are missing out on. I had a great time in Chicago, and will hit you up anytime I get back there!

Nikia Jefferson said...

Thanks for the shout, oh sweet and innocent one. lol! So funny you wrote this because I was just thinking about doing something very similar on my blog. Great minds think alike.

Raijean of Swa-Rai.com said...

Sweet and inconnent one..lmao..

No comment!!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin