|Sarah Breedlove better known as Madam CJ Walker|
Thank you Madame C.J. Walker for your contribution to African American hair care and your remarkable business savvy. Here are a few facts about the first black female millionaire:
- Tired of losing her hair, Madam C.J. Walker created her own hair care products, Wonderful Hair Grower and Vegetable Shampoo.
- Launched her business selling door to door.
- Conducted product demonstrations in churches.
- Opened Laila College, a beauty school to train Walker Hair Culturists.
- Purchased her very own factory where her products were made. Opened a second beauty school.
- She was a philanthropist and a tireless activist.
- Developed the Madam C.J. Walker Hair Culturists Union of America, which was a group sales agents who sold hair products just like the Avon, Mary Kay, and Tupperware sales reps of today.
- Conducted the first national sales meeting for her sales agents.
Madam CJ Walker